Sr. Technician, Stack Assembly
Redox is an early stage, clean energy company with an innovative new fuel cell technology that is revolutionizing how clean, reliable power is generated. Redox's fuel cell technology has succeeded in reducing the size, weight and, most importantly, cost of providing on-site generation of electricity. These innovations, combined with the technology's ability to operate at low temperatures, enables Redox to generate clean power at a price point that competes not only with the grid but with all alternative technologies.
The Redox team is made up of accomplished engineers and entrepreneurs who enjoy working together to change the world. We are eager to find highly motivated problem solvers who want to help us build and grow a company that rethinks how electricity is generated.
Job Overview & Key Responsibilities:
The Senior Stack Assembly Technician will assemble and install solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) stacks for operation in support of development and production efforts. Supporting tasks will include preparation of components used in stack assemblies, maintaining and organizing component inventory, performing electrical and mechanical measurements and comparing them to requirements, and documentation of measurements and assembly results. Following this description, the ideal candidate for the position will be expected to:
- Assemble SOFC stacks from components according to written assembly protocols, perform quality control measurements, and document key metrics of the assembly process.
- Gather components, position sub-assemblies, confirm fit, and perform fastening operations.
- Check and verify results against documented electrical and mechanical metrics and tolerances using various measurement and quality control techniques during the assembly process.
- Perform surface preparation processes for stainless steel components, such as sandblasting, cleaning, applying coatings and heat treatments.
- Disassemble SOFC stacks, take necessary measurements, and document the conditions of stacks and related components after operation.
- Create and share stack assembly quality summary reports with engineering and production groups.
- Create new SOPs and update existing SOPs with feedback from engineering and production groups.
- Resolve assembly problems to meet specifications, notifying supervisor for additional resources as required.
- Work from assembly sheets or written/verbal instructions from supervisor to perform operations.
- Work closely with engineers and other technicians to improve current processes and to develop new processes and documents.
- Maintain good record keeping in assembly sheets, laboratory notebooks and Microsoft Office programs to document process outcomes and metrics
- Install stacks for operation, which involves implementing electrical connections, gas connections, and application of thermal insulation.
- Perform electrical and mechanical quality control measurements with data entry in printed and electronic databases to document the achieved quality metrics.
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations, including during the operation of mechanical equipment and routine compressed gas cylinder handling operations.
- Proactively maintain inventory of components, consumables, and tools in work areas to meet delivery schedules.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot equipment according to documented procedures, understanding the basic mechanics and operation of the equipment.
- Maintain equipment and keep related workspaces clean and free of clutter.
- Provide hands on training to co-workers as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Expertise:
- Motivated, self-starter capable of working independently and as part of a team.
- With minimal guidance can work with tools of the trade and follow the technical direction of the engineering staff.
- Capable of following complex instructions in performance of tasks.
- Identifies problems associated with work duties and recommends solutions as needed.
- Capable of managing his or her own progress as well as the progress of more junior technicians.
- High attention to detail while performing repetitive tasks.
- Manual dexterity to assemble stack components together quickly and accurately.
- Hands-on individual comfortable with common hand and power tools (e.g., drills, drivers, etc.), measurement instruments, and moving fixtures and materials up to 50 lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Excellent documentation, communication, and organization skills.
- Basic electrical skills such as soldering and ability to troubleshoot electrical systems is a plus.
Educational & Work Experience Requirements:
- Three years of manufacturing work experience, preferably in hands-on mechanical assembly roles, is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A two-year associate’s degree (AA/AS degree) in Manufacturing, Electronics, Science or Engineering Technology is a plus.
Position & Salary
Redox works to attract the best talent by providing competitive salaries, performance-based bonuses and an opportunity for equity to all full-time employees. Overall compensation packages are commensurate with candidate’s experience and reflect Redox’s philosophy that employees should benefit when the company succeeds financially.
This role is a full-time position and includes healthcare, retirement and other benefits.
Redox is located just outside our nation's capital, in College Park, Maryland.