Sr. Technician, Materials Characterization & Processing
Redox is an early stage, clean energy company with an innovative new fuel cell technology that is revolutionizing how clean, reliable power is generated. Redox's fuel cell technology has succeeded in reducing the size, weight and, most importantly, cost of providing on-site generation of electricity. These innovations, combined with the technology's ability to operate at low temperatures, enables Redox to generate clean power at a price point that competes not only with the grid but with all alternative technologies.
The Redox team is made up of accomplished engineers and entrepreneurs who enjoy working together to change the world. We are eager to find highly motivated problem solvers who want to help us build and grow a company that rethinks how electricity is generated.
Job Overview & Key Responsibilities:
The Senior Materials Characterization & Processing Technician position involves materials characterization, test optimization, fuel cell materials processing, and creating and updating process documentation. This position performs a wide range of solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) material testing and processing activities to support cell development and manufacturing efforts. The position is responsible for a variety of characterization and related duties. The ideal candidate will:
- Perform ceramic and semiconductor-type characterization operations.
- Work closely with engineering staff to develop, document, and improve current processes.
- Work from process sheets or written/verbal instructions from supervisor to perform operations.
- Check and verify results against documented metrics and tolerances using various measurement and characterization techniques.
- Independently perform material characterization tasks such as electrical and electrochemical, thermal, and mechanical testing following documented instructions.
- Improve existing test documentation and create new documentation when appropriate, for example, drafting and refinement of standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Maintain good record keeping in process sheets, laboratory notebooks and Microsoft Office programs to document process outcomes and metrics.
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations, including chemical handling and waste disposal, high temperature characterization, and compressed gas cylinder handling.
- Operate and maintain characterization equipment according to documented procedures, understanding the basic theory and operation of the equipment.
- Assist in ceramics processing operations.
- Assist in materials processing quality assurance and control.
Qualifications & Expertise:
- Experience working independently in a chemical, ceramic, battery, or semiconductor characterization environment.
- Experience in test development and independent technical problem solving and troubleshooting skills, preferably related to ceramics or semiconductors.
- Experience operating and maintaining a variety of characterization machines used in research and development, such as electrical measurement equipment.
- Preferred experience with ceramics or high temperature materials processing.
- Preferred experience working with hand tools and moving fixtures and materials up to 50 lbs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Excellent documentation, communication, and organization skills.
- Able to assign and manage tasks of junior personnel.
Educational & Work Experience Requirements:
- Three (3) years of ceramics or semiconductor related characterization work experience is required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A two-year associate’s degree (AA/AS degree) in Manufacturing, Electronics, Science or Engineering Technology is desired.
Position & Salary
Redox works to attract the best talent by providing competitive salaries, performance-based bonuses and an opportunity for equity to all full-time employees. Overall compensation packages are commensurate with candidate’s experience and reflect Redox’s philosophy that employees should benefit when the company succeeds financially.
This role is a full-time position and includes healthcare, retirement and other benefits.
Redox is located just outside our nation's capital, in College Park, Maryland.